Monday, August 18, 2014

August Ipsy Subscription Box

The theme for August is Beauty Schooled.  I feel like I got schooled by Ipsy on this one.  I would say there are more misses than hits for me this month.  I really can't complain at all considering that up until this point, I had been really impressed with everything that has come in my Ipsy bags.

Let's start with potential re-buys. This bag doesn't have much for me.  The only thing that I would potentially re-buy is the mascara from Urban Decay.  The formula isn't anything that extravagant, but the brush offers nice coverage.  The sample has quite a bit considering that it isn't overly large.  I just wish that Urban Decay would offer up a full-size item because I would have my socks knocked off by that!


This is also the first month that I feel like there were items offered in other versions of Ipsy's Glam Bags that would have been a better fit for my tastes.  Ipsy always shows you what other people recive based on the interest inventory completed by fellow subscribers.  Normally I'm really happy with what I get.  This month I felt like I was saying, "Darn I would have loved to get that."  I think this just proves that with every subscription service there are risks.  I honestly am not going to complain by what I've gotten thus far because I've been exposed to some really great brands and products courtesy of Ipsy.  I'm just a little disappointed by what I got with four of my items this month. 

First of all, the dry shampoo by Klorane. I've now gotten a wide variety of dry shampoos from different subscriptions.  The thing is, I have a ridiculously sensitive scalp.  Don't even try to tell me about how great a new shampoo is, because I'll probably not have the luxury of trying it.  I feel like deep down in my heart there is going to be a dry shampoo that will solve my conundrum, and I can wear black t-shirts without fearing looking over my shoulders.  This dry shampoo didn't solve my scalp woes.  Then there is the "sheer glow" by Mannai, it works fine, I just don't want to take the time to mix it in to my lotion for added shimmer.  I also then don't see the point of putting it on my skin without mixing it in to a lotion first.

My full size item this month is a lip balm by Jersey Shore Sun.  This, I must admit, does everything it says it will do. The only thing is, it is not available in stores near me, to my knowledge. I don't think I would ever take the time to order it online because it works just as well as any of the other brands I can find in my local stores.

What I feel was the biggest bust was the kohl eyeliner by Lord & Berry.  It is a tiny sample, and I have not tried it yet.  Now you probably wonder how I can judge something that I haven't tried yet.  I looked in the comment section on Ipsy for this product and people commenting fell into three groups. 

Group 1) I love this and am happy I got it
Group 2) This smears up the wazoo and I hate it
Group 3) I'm afraid I'll poke myself in the eye if I try it because it's so small. 

Now I may fall into Group 1, but I am also fearful of losing my vision or smearing it inadvertently and looking like a raccoon, only to go get my mail, frightening my mail lady into never returning.  Now this may be a little extreme, but it is a pretty small sample, and I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

So, is it worth it...while this review was a little more tongue in cheek than usual, I'd still say that this subscription is worth it.  Ipsy is just $10 a month and with the exception of this month I have gotten amazing products.  I will still keep this subscription going, and can't wait to see what next month has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment