Sunday, August 24, 2014

August Qbox Subscription Review

Qbox is a brand new subscription box service for me.  It is different in that it doesn't have automatic renewal.  That means, if you really like what you are getting, you need to return to the site to keep renewing on your own.  There are options for subscribing, and I selected the three month option.  There were positive reviews all over the internet, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Qbox promises to send you five to seven items each month that are from Japan or Korea.  The tricky thing I found out though, was that because this box crosses boarders the element of surprise is taken away due to the fact that they need to declare what is in the box.  Each box has a printout right under your home address.


This also means you have, in what Qbox's opinion is, the value of all the items in the box.  There are no hidden or inflated values this way.  There is also another risk of having the mysteries of Qbox ruined for you if you take notice to any of their presence on social media.  They release pictures of what is in that month's box via their website, Instagram, Facebook, and elsewhere.  The thing is, there are different reveals on different social media outlets.  A person could know almost the entirety of the box before it gets to their door.

Qbox also includes a pamphlet telling you how much each item supposedly is.  These values are greatly inflated over the declared values.  I think what makes this box so popular is the fact that it comes from overseas.  There has been some interesting foods and make-up that people have found worthwhile.  I think this has caused the inflated online positivity.

This lunch box was the first item to be teased.  It works well if your lunch has no need for refrigeration as it isn't insulated and doesn't even zip shut.  There is a snap, but things easily fall out.  The cookies are/were really good.  They remind me of Koala Yummies, if you ever had them as a child.

I'm going to call this photo, the impracticable pile.  The cat picture is actually a set of six postcards.  I don't think I've sent a post card to anyone since the internet was readily accessible in American homes.  The headphones are fine, I just have ones that are a lot nicer.  I feel like they would just sit in my desk drawer, so these will be passed on to someone else.  The prize for weirdest item, is the Happy Wing.  This gets stuck on to your toilet seat.  That way if someone leaves the toilet seat up, you can use this handle to put it down without touching the actual toilet seat.  I feel like there would be just as many germs on this, so what's the point?



The lip pigment is an interesting concept from 3CE.  While it didn't photograph well, it is actually a bright coral color.  You squeeze it onto the small brush that comes with it and apply it to your skin.  If you purchase the additional pigments, there is a yellow and white set that you can use with any of the colors.  That way if you want a color darker or brighter you can mix the yellow or white in with your original color selection.  Interesting idea if you get the other set.  Without it, just a nice coral option.

The last items were listed as two separate pieces, but were packaged together because they are from the same company.  Most of the necklaces I've been getting in my subscription boxes the past few months has been micro-sized. By this I mean that instead of large statement pieces, there has been one small item on the chain.  I'm not normally a fan of this style, but I'll give it a go since I'm amassing so much.

So, is it worth it...the three month subscription from Qbox is $68.85 for three months.  Broken down that means each month needs of a value of at least $22.95 to be financially worth it.  Even with the lower declared prices on the shipping box, there was still a gain of a few dollars on my end.  There were also eight items in this box, which is more than they promised.  There were though four items in this box that will probably never be used by me.  So, I'm on the fence with this subscription.  I know I'll be getting two more, but I really don't think I'll be renewing it unless there are some mind blowing items in September and October.

No comments:

Post a Comment